Paper Wrapped Min
i Sponge Cakes
Makes 10 | Prep Time: 20 mins | Bake Time: 20 mins
5 Egg Whites
90g (3 oz) Castor sugar
5 Egg Yolks, lightly beaten
60g (2 oz) Cake flour (starch)
15g (0.5 oz) Corn flour (starch)
60g (2 oz) Melted butter
10 pcs 7×7 inch parchment paper
10 muffin cup cases
– Line the muffin cup cases with parchment papers, set aside.
– Combine flours and sieve twice, set aside.
– Preheat oven to 200C (392F).
– In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites till frothy, add sugar in 3 batches and continue beat till peak form, but not dry.
– Gently fold in beaten egg yolks till well combined.
– Followed by sieved flours, and gently fold till no trace of flours.
– Mixed a few tablespoon of the batter with melted butter, then pour back to the batter and gently fold till well combined.
– Divide batter into the paper lined muffin cup cases, 2/3 full.
-Once the cakes are in the oven, turn down temperature to 175C (350F) immediately and bake for 20 minutes or golden brown.
1. You may use 12 holes muffin pan and lined with cupcake liners, yield more and shorter cakes. I have made 15 cupcakes with this way.
2. Add a tsp of vanilla extract, lemon or orange zest to enhance the flavour as desired.